Grandma's Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 Large pot
- 1 Blender
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra-virgin )
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 butternut squash (peeled, seeded, and cubed)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh sage (chopped)
- ½ tbsp minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable broth
- freshly ground black pepper
- Start by heating some oil in a big pot at medium heat. Then add the onion, salt & pepper and cook it until it's softened - takes 5-8 minutes. Add the squash and keep stirring occasionally while letting it cook for 8-10 minutes until it begins to soften.
- Then add the garlic, sage, rosemary and ginger. Stir the ingredients together for 30 seconds to a minute until it's fragrant. Then pour in 3 cups of broth and bring it to a boil then reduce the heat to low-medium and allow it cook till the squash is tender, this should take between 20 - 30 minutes.
- Let the soup cool for a bit & then pour it into a blender, in batches if needed, and blend until the consistency is smooth. If it looks too thick, you can add up to 1 cup of more broth & blend again. Finally, season it as per your taste & serve with parsley, pepitas, and some crusty bread.